CZ16 - Czech MotoGP Weekend Plans

Whilst Neill is planning his Wild Hogs trip to Scandinavia for earlier in the summer, I have my Arizona trip at the forefront of my activities. So this trip will be a bit of a back seat job for a while.

What I have done is to book a B&B near to Brno for the weekend of the GP.  This is a fall back position in case we aren't able to secure something with my friends in the area.

Prices as you can imagine are sky high at GP time and I am hoping that if we do have to use this B&B, it won't suddenly rocket in price!   It's not that far from the circuit but will involve a walk down to the main road to get one of the free buses to the circuit. It currently costs about €30 a night for the two of us with breakfast at a further €2.  Some of the hotels in Brno are more like €80 and upwards a night.  Still cheap I guess but...... 

MotoGP tickets go on sale in December and I can buy online or maybe get one of my friends to buy them locally. I don't think there are many "locals" discounts any more.

When I lived in Brno a few years back and up to about 2011, there was an unwritten system of Czech-price and Foreigner-price for many goods and services.  Having a local with you to do the talking could save a few koruna! I was once quoted a price on the train from Brno to Vienna and when I went to buy the ticket, my friend did the talking and the saving was about 10%!

Next will be time to decide how long to be away.  Currently we are thinking taking annual leave from work from Thursday to Tuesday.

I think Neill's idea is an early crossing on the Shuttle and then boot it half way and stay overnight in Bavaria or somewhere.  From Calais Shuttle terminal to Brno is something like 800 miles, using the "southerly route" on the A3 via Frankfurt/Main and Nürnberg.

I have done Zeebrugge to Chudčice near Brno in one go, but that was 25 years ago on my DR800SL. That was about 730 miles. I was younger and fitter in those days! And that was using what I call the "northerly route" on the A4 via Dresden, plus there was far less motorway in 1991!

My suggestion is to go over the evening before the first day of leave from work and get a few miles under the belts, then stay in some cheap F1 or YH.  

If we knock off a couple of hours we could be 100 miles on the way.  It would also give us a chance to stop on the first full day to look at a sight or two.

I'll have a look on Tyre and see what the options are. A nice castle would suit for an overnight?

Comments